8 a.m. till 4 p.m.
The rural community of Albany near the eastern border of Livingston Parish was originally developed as a railroad stop, and, later became a business district at the crossroads of U. S. Hwy. 190 and LA Hwy. 43. Settlers of Hungarian heritage moved into this area that became and remains the largest Hungarian community in the United States.
The Albany Christmas Parade is one of the largest Christmas parades in the state.
Town Of Albany Information
The lively community of Albany near the eastern border of Livingston Parish was first developed as a railroad community. It was incorporated as a village on October 7, 1953, by proclamation of Gov. Robert F. Kennon. The town?s first officials were Mayor Grady Stewart, Aldermen B. G. Hess, Louis Bartus and Wilford Cowart, and Marshal Jessie Fletcher. The name was first officially used by the Illinois Central Railroad in 1906 when they plotted a route across Livingston Parish and announced the names of the stations on their new route. The origin of the name has several popular theories, with the most likely being that the residents wanted to name the community Natalbany because of its location along the Natalbany River. Since there was already a Natalbany (located north of Hammond), the people altered the name and came up with Albany. Albany developed as a crossroads community for the railroad and the Natalbany River, and later the crossroads of U. S. Hwy. 190 and LA Hwy. 43 (Turnpike Road). Situated on high land, it was a natural place for development.